Friday 21 January 2011

atychiphobia?

Right! I started this blog over two weeks ago and have promised my followers a look into what I have been writing. Well the fact of the matter is …. I have no followers. The reason why I have no followers is because I haven’t advertised my blog link to anyone. That’s right, nobody, not even family. Loser you say? Well I would totally agree (as it would seem the past couple of weeks I have been talking to myself), but … I have come to the conclusion there are possibly two reasons for me not jumping up and down and shouting it from the roof tops. These are:

1. I am a perfectionist and don’t like sending out something I don’t think is good enough.

2. I suffer from Atychiphobia – the fear of failure. Yes, you have guessed it right – I Googled it. 
And the result is ….

Symptoms - Atychiphobes generally gather a defeatist attitude out of fear of failing, making them avoid trying to achieve anything due to potentially failing at it. They may also subconsciously undermine or sabotage their own efforts to prevent having to continue to try, and therefore preventing any potential failure.”

Origins and Causes - An irrational fear of failure could have developed from either very demeaning parents or siblings who placed an unnaturally high stigma upon failure at a young age, or from a traumatic childhood event that resulted in serious embarrassment and humiliation, even from a minor failure.”

Well none of that is correct as I have the most amazing parents and siblings who have been every bit supportive and have been excellent role models in my life. So it has to be the fact that I am a perfectionist. This is sometimes good, but in this scenario it is not.

So, saying all this I have put the risk and reward into perspective. I have considered the cost of missed opportunities, researched the alternatives, looked at the worse case scenario and made a contingency plan – which is to bite the proverbial bullet and put a peg in the ground.

My link is going out TODAY, and you will all be able to read a small excerpt from my book by Sunday 23rd January 2011. By putting the date down, I can’t pretend I meant the following Sunday, or the first Sunday in June.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite. Or waiting around for Friday night or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil or a better break or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or another chance. Everyone is just waiting.” ~Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment